FREE Colville Primary iPhone & Android App
Useful Links

Useful Links

Colville Primary

SEND Local Offer

1. What is SEND (Special Educational Need and Disability)?

If a child has particular needs that require the school to make additional provision to meet the needs of a child, this could mean that the pupil has a SEND. This includes pupils that:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

2. What does Colville provide to support SEND?

Our vision applies to every child as stated in Colville's Mission, Vision and Values. Our children with SEND leave Year 6 with good learning outcomes and some achieve higher levels.

The school plans for a broad range of needs which may cross over one or more of these areas (taken from the SEND Code of Practice 2014):

   • Communication and Interaction

   • Cognition and Learning

   • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

   • Sensory and/or Physical Needs

 For further information, please refer to the SEND Code of Practice (2014)

3. Who do I get in contact with at Colville if my child has SEND?

  • Talk to your child’s class teacher about your concerns. The teacher may seek advice from the Special Educational Needs & Disability Coordinator (SENDCo).
  • If you continue to have concerns, you can arrange a meeting with the SENDC0. Please book an appointment with the office (020 7229  6540) or contact via email:

4. How will I know if my child is having difficulties or SEND?

  • Your child’s class teacher may arrange a time to discuss concerns or they may also talk to you about any issues during a parent/teacher evening.
  • The SENDCo may contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s difficulties and any possible support strategies the school may consider appropriate. 

5.    How will the school consider my views and those of my child with regard to her/his difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disabilities?

At Colville, we encourage parents to be involved in your child’s learning – you know your child best! We also think it is helpful to hear your child’s views about their experiences with learning.

  • You can share your views at regular meetings with the class teacher, during which you will be informed of strategies designed to support your child’s individual needs.
  • If your child has an identified special educational need and is receiving specialist support, you will be informed termly of their progress in a meeting or by a written report outlining current progress, support strategies and expected outcomes.
  • The views of your child are also very important and will be taken into consideration when planning support for individuals.
  • If your child has a Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), you and your child will be able to share your views at the Annual Review meeting. 
  • If a child is Looked After (LAC) and also has a SEND, they can speak to the designated officer for LAC (The Headteacher) and/or give their views in meetings with education, health and social care providers.

6.    How does Colville Primary School ensure the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s special educational needs and/or disability?

Staff at Colville are trained to support all children. Training opportunities within and outside school enable all staff to have a thorough understanding of how children learn, including how to best support their needs. For staff working directly with pupils with more complex needs, training is provided by specialist providers to ensure intervention is well matched to individual children.  The school works continually alongside all professionals involved to maintain consistency and good practise around your child’s learning.

 7.    How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

  • Every class has additional adults and this can make differentiation (matching work to children’s needs) more effective.
  • A carefully planned curriculum that enables children to make progress according to their own knowledge/skill.
  • We regularly review the practise/learning relating to individual children and groups.
  • We seek and work with a variety of specialist partners and agencies who advise us on how we can best support individuals with particular needs.
  • If a child needs physical adaptations and/or specialist equipment, we cater for them accordingly.
  • We have a number of volunteers at Colville and these are often deployed to provide targeted support.

8. What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

Our practice matches what is expected in the current SEND code of practice. The support is broken down into the following three waves. If a child succeeds they will not require further support. For example if a child makes good progress as result of our quality first teaching they will not require targeted support.

9. How will you support my child to reach his/her learning outcomes?

  • The class teacher and other staff working with your child ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and support in working towards meeting these goals.
  • Pupils with SEND may have a plan drawn up by the class teacher and/or SENDCo, This plan will be shared with you and your child. The learning plan sets termly targets for pupils and outlines strategies to be used to support your child. Progress is discussed and reviewed termly and you and your child will contribute to this.
  • External agencies and specialists may also review your child’s progress, attend learning plan meetings and adapt their planning accordingly.

This diagram shows how support is planned, put into action and reviewed:

10.    What is an EHC Plan and who can request one for my child?

An EHC Plan stands for an Education, Health and Care Plan. The purpose of an EHC Plan is to provide special provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes across education, health and social care and prepare them for adulthood. EHC Plans can be requested by a child's parent, the young person themselves (if over the age of 16) and a person acting on behalf of a school (with the knowledge and agreement of the parent and young person where possible).

11.    How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Working with parents is important in securing the best possible outcomes for pupils. We can help you to support your child's learning in a variety of ways:

12.      How is support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels of support in school?

Colville Primary School receives funding from the local authority. This money is used to support the learning of children with SEND and/or disabilities. The Head Teacher and Governors decide the budget for SEND provision based on the needs of the children in school.

  • Teachers (with advice from the SENDCo) support pupils to overcome barriers to learning.
  • The Head Teacher, SENDCo and other members of the leadership team prioritise pupils for interventions each term as part of pupil progress meetings.
  • The SENDCo and teacher share outcomes of this with you and your child and write an action plan which may include a period of additional interventions, staff training priorities or resource needs.
  • If a child has reached their targets, the support may no longer be necessary and may then be stopped.

13.     How will the school know that the support has made a difference to my child’s learning and how can I and my child be included in this review process?

  • Your child’s progress will be assessed both in terms of his/her regular learning within class and also with regard to specific interventions and provision.
  • The effectiveness of intervention and provision is reviewed regularly to ensure individual learning outcomes have been achieved. Pupils may continue to require further intervention or they may not, depending on outcomes.
  • Where pupils have completed interventions which are proven to be effective but have not made adequate progress the plan will be amended.
  • You and your child are kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved in all stages of this support.

14.      What support will there be for my child’s happiness and well-being at school?

At Colville Primary School, the happiness, health and well-being of all our pupils is very important. If you have any concerns about your child, please speak to their class teacher. We have clear strategies for teaching:

  • Behaviour
  • Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education
  • Anti-Bullying

Our reward systems are effective and the curriculum is exciting.

15.    How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at school?

  • Colville Primary School is an inclusive school and committed to providing equal opportunities for all children.
  • School clubs, educational visits and residential trips are available to all children.
  • When necessary, the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEND and/or disabilities are included in all activities.
  • You should feel free to contact your child’s class teacher if you have any concerns.

16.    How will Colville Primary School support my child in transition stages?

  • Transition visits – pupils see their new classrooms and meet new staff.
  • We liaise with your child's previous or future school to discuss how best to support your child.
  • Useful resources and information are passed to the new school.
  • For Year 6 transition to Year 7 activities, sessions and circle times are delivered to the whole class to eliminate and minimise any anxieties and concerns about moving from Primary to Secondary education.
  • Where required, for Year 6 transition, Colville communicates individuals' needs with key staff at a child’s new school and arrange extra transition support, for example arrange a summer school to develop friendships before beginning in September.
  • A transition book may be used to prepare pupils for the change in school.
  • Useful resources , strategies and information will be passed a new teacher.

17.      Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEND provision made for my child?

  • Initially speak with your child’s teacher and/or the SENDCo. Hopefully they will be able to address your concerns.
  • You can then contact the Head Teacher, who may direct you to the school’s Complaints Policy and Procedure which on the school's website. 

18.      If I have any other questions about my child at Colville Primary school, who can I ask?

At Colville Primary School we are very happy to speak to you about any aspects of your child’s education. It is best to speak to one of the following in this order:

- Class Teacher

- Key Stage Leader


- Deputy Head Teacher or Head Teacher.


19.    What is the Local Offer for pupils' with SEND and where can I find it?

The Local Offer is the Council’s offer for parents and young people. It will include provision both in and out of school and will include services and support provided by the private and voluntary sectors as well as the Council and the National Health Service. It will also include information about the arrangements for identifying and assessing children and young people’s special educational needs and for requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment. In addition there will be information on how to raise concerns about services.

Please click here to be taken to the: RBKC Local Offer

20. Current School SEND Provision includes:

  • Flexible teaching strategies
  • Differentiated learning including flexible grouping for phonics, reading, writing and maths
  • Use of visual diagrams
  • Use of ICT resources
  • Visual timetable
  • Rest breaks and ‘thinking’ time.
  • Personal Reward/Behaviour Chart
  • Resources such as a tangle toy, reading ruler, pencil grip, sand timer
  • 1:1 reading volunteers
  • Social skills groups